October 18, 2007
St. Stephen’s Green is a beautifully landscaped park in the middle of Dublin‘s city center, on the South end of Grafton Street near St Stephen’s Green shopping center. Many Dubliners enjoy the walk and relaxing time at St. Stephen’s Green on sunny days.
St. Stephen’s Green, which was one of 3 ancient commons in the old city, was enclosed in 1664, and 22 acres green was put out in 1880. In addition to the landscaped area with flowers and trees, there are a lake, a fountain, and some memorials such as; Load Ardilaun who gave a grant to build the park, James Joyce, Edward Delaney, Wolfe Tone, and WB Yeats, placed throughout the park.
There are some notable buildings on St. Stephen’s Green as well. The Royal College of Surgeons built in 1806 is located on the west side, which still has the marks of bullets in its columns from 1916 Rising. Shelbourne Hotel is on the north of Green. The hotels dates back to 1867.
Newman House is on the south side. It’s the home of the Catholic University of Ireland opened in 1854. Also on the south side, there are small University Church and Iveagh House, which was once owned by the Guinness family.