May 6, 2008
Bunratty Folk Park re-creates rural life in 19th century Ireland. It’s not just a few of the old farmhouses, it’s a complete small village with school, shops, Georgian house, doctor’s office, park and gardens, mills, etc. with people in authentic costume wandering through the streets. Visitors can experience and learn the life through demonstrations of weaving and baking to butter-making.
Things you see at Bunratty Folk Park:
Ardcroney Church – an original Church of Ireland building in Ardcroney, Co. Tipperary was moved stone by stone and rebuilt in the Folk Park.
Hazelbrook House – was the home of the Hughes Brothers who produced HB ice cream.
Vertical Mill – a rural undershot watermill and the Horizontal Mill – a working corn mill based on findings of an excavation in Mashangla Co. Cork. This type of mill is described in Irish Law texts from a 1000 years ago.
Bunratty Walled Garden – modelled on the original Regency period garden which supplied fruits, vegetables, and flowers to Bunratty House built in 1804 and now refurbished in typical Victorian style.
Folk Park Farmhouses
- Loop Head Farmhouse – a woman in the costume bakes bread and makes butter here.
- Cashen Fisherman’s House – a North Kerry Salmon Fisherman house built with woods salvaged from the sea.
- Mountain Farmhouse – a poor farmers house from the borders of Limerick and Kerry.
- Shannon Farmhouse – a farmhouse removed from the site of a runway at Shannon Airport and reconstructed, which was the beginning of the Bunratty Folk Park development.
- Bothan Scóir – a dwelling of a poor landless labourer.
- Golden Vale – a rich farmers home from the rich lands in the Golden Vale of Limerick and Tipperary counties with stables, byres and a corn barn. Women in costume bake brown bread, porter cake, apple tart, and griddle bread here, and you can purchase them.
- North Clare Farmhouse – a house from near the Cliffs of Moher in North Co. Clare. The local flagstone is used to build houses, out buildings, various field walls gate piers etc.
- Byre Dwelling – a dwelling for both humans and milking cows from Co. Mayo.
Bunratty Folk Park village is located next to Bunratty Castle in County Clare.